Smudge Expo 2015 will take place March 14, 2015
The Smudge! Expo will take place on Saturday, March 14, 2015, from noon to 6 p.m. at Artisphere in Arlington, Va. Talks will take place in the Black Box Theater at Artisphere and hands-on workshops will take place in the Education Lab. We’ve expanded to show programs in the Dome Theatre.
AT A GLANCE
1-1:50 – Jade Feng Lee – Character Design
2-2:50 – Tom Atkinson (Copic) — Using Color
3-3:50 – Santiago Casares – Make Your Own Comic Workshop
4-4:50 – Liz Reed – Create a clay character
5-5:50 – Pauli Kohberger (Art Way Alliance) – Anime, Manga, and the Basics of Character Design
Dome Theatre – seating in the Dome is free and first come/first served.
Animated Shorts (all ages) – 12-1pm
Root Hog or Die (104 minutes) – 2-3:45pm
The Art of Richard Thompson – 4-4:30pm
- Mary Zehr, Wilson High School, bilingual education teacher
- Nancy Byrne, Madison High School, special education/language arts teacher
- Becca Grace, Robert Goddard Montessori School, teacher librarian
Carol Dembicki, Madison High School, grade 12 English teacher
Black Box – 2:00 p.m. to 2:50 p.m.
Exploring science through comics: The American Association for the Advancement of Science is preparing to launch several comics-related projects designed to make science more appealing and tangling to students.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Bill Campbell, Rosarium Publishing, publisher
- Bizhan Khodabandeh, cartoonist (The Little Red Fish)
- Jamie Noguchi, cartoonist (Yellow Peril)
Dreamworld: Comics historian Katherine Roeder provides an overview of the life of early 20th century cartoonist Windsor McCay and on the fantasy/dreams element of other comics strips during that period.
- Katherine Roeder, George Mason University, art history adjunct faculty
- Andrew Cohen (Magic Bullet, editor)
- Evan Keeling (D.C. Conspiracy co-founder)
- Rafer Roberts (founding editor, Magic Bullet)